This is the period of time after the conclusion of the season where athletes decrease sport specific skill work and start to focus on functional movement and strength development. This change in focus will allow for greater gains in skill work as the foundation of their athletic pyramid grows. The off-season is divided into specific phases designed to maximize athletic development and work in collaboration with the skill-based training the athlete receives.
- Preparatory Phase designed to improve muscular recruitment and anaerobic endurance and increase the size of muscle tissue.
- Generalized sports conditioning activities
- Improving neuromuscular recruitment and facilitations essential to the primary sport movements.
- Exercise application to sport start to become more sport-specific
- Phase designed to teach athlete to apply strength developed quickly to generate maximal power. The ability to generate power is closely related to athletic prowess.
The Off-season is coming to a close and preparation for the sporting season begins. Sport-specific skills start to take priority; making this the opportune time to develop sport-specific power to excel the athlete to the next level.
With the sports season grower longer and the competition growing, it is of the utmost importance to maintain strength and mobility gains developed over the off-season through the entire season. With proper training habits, it is possible to be at your best when the games matter most. The key here it to maintain obligations to the sport you trained for with minimal losses in performance capabilities.